Louise FIelds says her dog ate cannabis plants which were dumped in a farmland (Picture: Mercury Press)

A dog started convulsing and needed life-saving treatment after eating cannabis plants which her owner says she found during a walk.

Zara, a three-year-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier, started to blink and tremble uncontrollably before gradually losing control of her limbs.

Her owner had taken her for a walk on farmlands in Salford and believes the cannabis had been dumped there.

Louise Fields, 34, adopted Zara while working at Dogs4Rescue. She told Manchester Evening News: ‘I walked into the kitchen and knew something was wrong.

‘Her eyes were flickering, she had jolting tremors and couldn’t co-ordinate her limbs properly.

‘I knew it was potentially life threatening and drove her straight to the emergency vets.’

She took her to a vet in Leigh who said the likely cause was cannabis poisoning.

They induced vomiting to flush the plant out of the dog’s system, and she has since recovered.

Zara was treated with induced vomiting and kept overnight for monitoring (Picture: Mercury Press & Media Ltd)

Louise later told The Sun: ‘Zara is only small and all she needed was a little dose for the drug to have serious side-effects.’

‘The thought of losing her is unimaginable. I’m over the moon that she’s back to her former self.

‘If we had waited any longer, it could have been too late.’

She urged dog owners to be careful around Irlam Moss in Greater Manchester and to immediately call a vet if their pet exhibits ‘weird’ behaviour.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at

For more stories like this, check our news page.


Leave a Reply