There are now 11 other cannabis stores looking to open in Guelph in addition to the first store that opened to the public on Wednesday.
Three of the 11 applicants applications are within 50 metres of each other on the west side of Wyndham Street North.
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) web site lists 12 applications at various stages. One of those applications, Spiritleaf, opened Wednesday in the Metro plaza at the corner of Edinburgh Road and Stone Road.
The applicants need regulatory approval before being granted a licence to proceed. The city also has a list of requirements before it issues a business licence, namely proximity to schools, daycares and health care facilities.
Of the other 11, 10 of them are listed on the AGCO web site as “in progress” while one is listed as “public notice” that ends on June 26.
The 11 and their locations are:
– Ronin Cannabis, 291 Woodlawn Rod. W., Unit 8A (the same plaza as Woodlawn Bowl)
– Cannabis Supply Co., 206 Speedvale Ave. W. (on the southwest corner of the Dawson Road/Speedvale Avenue intersection)
– Canja, 83 Surrey St. (a detached building just west of Norm’s Esso)
– FIre & Flower Cannabis Co., 314 Stone Rd. W. (a former paint store in the plaza across from Stone Road Mall )
– Meta Cannabis Co., 3 Woodlawn Rd. W. (the Walmart plaza)
– The Cannabist Shop, 739 Woolwich St. (beside what used to be the location of a McDonald’s restaraunt)
– Friendly Stranger South Guelph, 5 Clair Rd. W., Unit 1 (the Food Basics plaza)
– The Cannabist Shop, 166 Wyndham St. N. (part of the Guelph Concert Theatre building)
– Q-bud, 128 Wyndham St. N. (the former Sidonio’s mens wear location)
– HoneyComb Cannabis Co., 118 Wyndham St. N. (the former Dutch Toko location)
– Bud’s Cannabis Store, 370 Stone Rd. W. (the East Side Mario’s plaza)