Editor’s note: A lot happened this week, so here’s your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week’s most popular headlines.
1. Medical marijuana dispensary opens first legal pop-up shop in Plano. A new medical marijuana dispensary has taken root in the Dallas area. The Austin-based Texas Original Compassionate Cultivation, one of only three licensed purveyors of medicinal cannabis in Texas, is opening five new dispensaries across the state — including one in Plano.
2. New restaurant at Dallas’ Trinity Groves features novel twist on pizza. West Dallas restaurant incubator Trinity Groves is rolling out a new eatery featuring the pandemic-friendly cuisine of pizza. Called Holy Crust, it’s a concept by Trinity Groves founder Phil Romano that he says pays homage to the type of pizza his mother used to make him growing up.
3. Dallas’ best restaurant and top chef crowned at 2020 Tastemaker Awards. In a year that has left the food and beverage industry devastated from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Dallas-Fort Worth’s talented and hard-working culinary stars deserved — more than ever — to be recognized and celebrated at the 2020 CultureMap Tastemaker Awards. The winners were finally revealed.
4. New taco bar to debut in downtown Dallas with rare crunchy delicacy. A new family-owned taqueria named for the “mother of tacos” is opening in downtown Dallas. Called Chimalma Taco Bar Co., it’ll open in August at 701 Commerce St. #120, taking over the old Latin Deli space, with a signature dish not found on many (any?) other menus in Dallas.
5. These hot-ticket Dallas society events are going virtual in September. As the coronavirus pandemic continues to dominate life in Dallas, local nonprofits are grappling with how to raise crucial funds without holding big, in-person events. The September events here are pivoting to virtual presentations, and getting creative to engage patrons, from a Kentucky Derby “in a box” to intimate catered parties for fashion-show watching at home.