COLUMBUS – Ohio officials on Friday recalled several medical marijuana products from cultivator Pure Ohio Wellness after it was found the products hadn’t been properly tested for contaminants.
Several varieties of dried flower were sent to the state’s three operational testing labs for preliminary testing. These tests were only for potency – amount of the compounds THC and CBD – and pesticides.
The flower was never given the full battery of tests required by program rules. Those tests detect heavy metals such as lead, microbials like salmonella and other potentially harmful substances.
The Ohio Department of Commerce, which regulates cultivators, is investigating why flower that wasn’t tested was packaged and sent to dispensaries, a spokeswoman said Friday.
The problem was found by a state compliance agent while doing a routine inventory check, said spokeswoman Mikaela Hunt.
Ohio has a seed-to-sale tracking system that prevents product that isn’t tested from being later sold. But in this case, Hunt said, the labs marked the products as passing testing after the initial preliminary testing.
Patients are advised to return any unused product to the dispensary where it was purchased. No adverse effects have been reported from use of the products.
This the third mandatory recall for Ohio’s medical marijuana program, which began sales in January 2019.
Affected product IDs:
• M00000022503: Tier 1 Vap-Hybrid-16.4-.04-Papaya Punch
• M00000022504: Tier 1 Vap-Hybrid-16.9-.07-Hikers Blend
• M00000022506: Tier 1 Vap-Hybrid-18.6-.03-Tahoe Jack
• M00000028027: Tier 1 Vap-Hybrid-14.21-0.05
• M00000032648: Tier 1 Vap-Hybrid-14.48-0.03
• M00000036302: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-15.50-0
• M00000036303: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-18.50-0
• M00000036307: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-14.75-0
• M00000039234: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-18.50-0 (103) 28.3g
• M00000039235: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-14.75-0 (104) 8.49g
• M00000039236: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-14.75-0 (104) 28.3g
• M00000039239: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-14.75-0 (107) 8.49g
• M00000039240: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-14.75-0 (107) 28.3g
• M00000039241: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-15.50-0 (108) 8.49g
• M00000039242: Tier 1 Vap-Sativa-15.50-0 (108) 28.3g
Support local journalism – subscribe to Cincinnati.com and The Enquirer
Read or Share this story: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/03/14/ohio-medical-marijuana-recalled-after-wasnt-tested/5049194002/