•Deputies were dispatched to 5880 Germantown Road, Lower Salem, on Thursday after Lisa Robertson reported a subject was on their property going through their outbuildings. She stated the male subject, wearing camo, took off after an attempt was made to apprehend him. The man said he lived with someone down the road. Deputies then responded to 6467 Germantown Road and made contact with Travis Hinkle. Hinkle was asked about his whereabouts within the last couple hours and Hinkle stated he was in the woods hunting. When asked about his clothing, Hinkle stated he was wearing camouflage and had a blue backpack. A check of the backpack revealed no stolen items. Hinkle stated he was walking through the woods and ended up coming out onto the Robertson’s property. Hinkle then stated he was walking down through the Robertson’s yard and heard a male yelling at him, at which time he took off running. Hinkle stated the male was chasing him in a vehicle and stopped him and asked who he was. Hinkle was asked about the open doors to outbuildings on the property and Hinkle reported knowing nothing about them. Hinkle denied tampering with anything but agreed he was trespassing.
During the conversation, deputies detected an odor of marijuana emitting from the residence and asked the homeowner if she had any knowledge of the marijuana odor. The homeowner advised deputies that Hinkle and Samantha smoke marijuana. Deputies then spoke with Samantha Knighten, who confirmed she and Hinkle were smoking marijuana in the house. A consent to search was obtained from the homeowner. Deputies located three buds of suspected marijuana, five suspected marijuana seeds, five smoking devices and a mini electric scale. These items were in plain view and were confiscated from the residence. Three children were observed in close proximity to the items seized from the home (marijuana and drug paraphernalia) and had immediate access to them.
Travis Lee Hinkle, 26, was placed under arrest and transported to the Washington County Jail for processing. Hinkle was charged with endangering children, attempted breaking and entering, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.
Samantha Mae Knighten, 26, will be summoned into Marietta Municipal Court on a charge of endangering children, possession of drug paraphernalia, and possession of marijuana.
• A deputy was dispatched to 27317 State Route 7, Marietta, on Wednesday for a report of a male yelling for help. The deputy encountered two subjects engaged in a verbal altercation at Apt. A, identified as Debra and Timothy Sampson. A minor laceration was observed to Debra’s hand and Timothy had a minor laceration to his abdominal area (both declining medical attention). Debra had tried to move some furniture pieces and a mirror had fallen and shattered. Debra stated they then began to argue and she cut herself cleaning up the glass. Timothy stated he also cut himself while cleaning up the glass and was unsure why anyone would have thought they were calling for help. Timothy Matthew Sampson, 28, and Debra Lee Sampson, 26, will be summoned into court on charges of disorderly conduct.
• A deputy responded to Rummer Road on Thursday in reference to dogs running loose. Two dogs belonging to 211 Rummer Road, Apt. A, were loose and had been loose previously on April 9 and the owners were warned about charges if they allow the dogs to run loose. Contact was made with Kalee M Krawczyk-Leja, who admitted to the dogs running loose as she tried to tie another dog outside. Kalee stated she lives at this address with another subject and he had told her that he had been warned about letting the dogs run loose. A summons is being requested for Kalee Marie Krawczyk-Leja, 20, of 420 Front St., Marietta, for failure to restrain dogs.
The following people were recently processed into the Washington County Jail:
• Travis Lee Hinkle, 26, of 6467 Germantown Road, Lower Salem, was arrested for attempted breaking and entering, possession of marijuana, endangering children and drug paraphernalia, all misdemeanors.
• Joshua Lynn Ballard, 30, of 4700 Dalzell Road, Whipple, was arrested for fugitive from justice, a misdemeanor.
• Aaron Wesley Cain, 38, of 16687 Crooked Tree Road, Dexter City, was arrested for driving while under the influence of alcohol/drugs, and no operator’s license, both misdemeanors.
• William David Stevens, 44, of 114 Miller Ave., Marietta, was arrested for probation violation, a misdemeanor.
Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox